Saturday, February 19, 2011

WTF Wisconsin

Hey friends,

I'm sure you're probably not closely following Wisconsin politics; to be honest, we have exams coming up, so I'm not either. But things around here are INTENSE!

Our ridiculous governor who does not even have a college degree (I have no idea who voted for him) has created a shitty bill to combat Wisconsin's budget crisis (that may or may not exist according to an article I read today). Rather than taking expenditures from things that suck: ie - charging fees for high emissions, etc, he has decided to cut our Medicaid program (Badgercare) and take away collective bargaining rights from government employees (ie: officials, teachers, UW hospital workers; fire and police are exempted).

My mom is a teacher, so this could potentially have a big impact on my whole family. School districts state-wide have been closed, some since Wednesday. One specific concern of my mom's is that she'll be eligible for retirement in four years. Currently, she is able to keep her health insurance until Medicare kicks in at age 65. This, however, has to pass one contract revision set to happen in two years. If this changes, both she and my dad will be uninsured when my mom retires - yikes!

In another respect, Wisconsin is one of the best states in terms of uninsured children - very few of our children are uninsured because of Badgercare, and to lose this program will send those stats through the roof. The labor issue is in the spotlight, but the impact on our low-income residents will probably have a bigger impact on the health of our state. Add the potential for a Planned Parenthood cut (which still has to pass through the Senate) AND AmeriCorps cuts (***tear***)...the thought is devastating. Do people not realize that when you cut funding for medicaid and community health centers that people are left with NO option?

To prevent this bill from passing, several of our democrats left the state - without enough people, the vote can't happen. You might view this as an immature act - after all, we did vote for these people and that's how laws get passed. However, Walker is strong-arming this bill - creating it one day, passing it the next, without the opportunity for public discourse. There was a Tea Party counter-rally today...they had to bus people in because...oh wait...nobody likes the Tea Party! People may have voted for Walker, but in many Wisconsin counties, school districts and the governmental sector are the largest employers (and everybody else is on Badgercare). Everybody knows somebody who will be hurt by this bill.

Anyway, I'm sure I don't have all the facts straight, but I figured this was a worthy cause to post for!

Love and miss all of you!
-Jenna

P.S. I've seen the inside of a penis. Yep, this upcoming exam is on abdomen/pelvis - woohoo!

1 comment:

  1. I have been following it! My sister-in-law is from Wisconsin, and her mom is a teacher, too. I've been hearing plenty of the craziness that's going on. Just because you voted for a person doesn't mean they can do anything they want!!

    ReplyDelete