Monday, January 17, 2011

Update from Illinois

Happy Martin Luther King Day!

I've been enjoying reading everyone's news. What variety so far (back-to-back nuclear disarmament and guns)! I miss our weekly meetings (even when they were over video-conference), but it's great to hear about your adventures and opinions, and I hope to hear from the rest of the group too.

Nothing super exciting in my life so far. Tomorrow is the first day of my second semester: some more Russian history, a class on microhistories, and a first-year research paper. Currently, my research deals with the introduction of western European languages into Russian society in the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries. In two years I should be done with courses and starting on my dissertation. In short, I will be in Urbana for at least the next six years, with sporadic trips to Russia, so you're more than welcome to come and visit.

I've started a blog of my own, My Present and Thoughts, with mostly random musings on history and culture, although I haven't been that good at writing on it regularly. I've been meaning to do a post sometime on the random connections between my current activities and my year with AmeriCorps; if I do, I'll leave a link here.

I hope to see you all again soon!

Stephen

No comments:

Post a Comment